The New York State Juvenile Justice Advisory Group (JJAG) is a board of juvenile justice experts from across New York State that is charged with supervising the preparation and administration of New York State’s federal juvenile justice and delinquency prevention plan. Our website is a home for comprehensive New York State juvenile justice information. It is designed to share what we know about the New York State juvenile justice system; provide information about legal, policy and funding developments; offer convenient access to the training provided at JJAG sponsored events; and enhance transparency in the JJAG’s work to promote accountability, effectiveness, and innovation in New York State’s juvenile justice system.
Governor Recommends Raising the Age of Criminality
The Governor’s Commission on Youth, Public Safety, and Justice recently released its report and recommendations revolving around raising the age of criminality. The Commission released a full report and a summary of recommendations.
The report lays out 38 recommendations. Highlights of the report’s recommendations include:
- Raising the age of criminality to 17 in 2017 and 18 in 2018 for most misdemeanor and nonviolent felonies;
- Preserving public safety by maintaining initial criminal court jurisdiction for violent felony offenses and other felony crimes of violence;
- Removing all minors from adult jails and prisons, and using youth facilities for all minors regardless of the court processing their cases;
- Expanding and enhancing Youthful Offender protections to avoid criminal records for youth processed in criminal court; and
- Creating new opportunities for youth reintegration by allowing the sealing of one civil conviction if that youth then leads a crime-free life.
Regional Youth Justice Team Updates
Regional Youth Justice Teams are regional teams of juvenile justice stakeholders including representatives from local government agencies, service providers, the judiciary, community organizations and youth and families who have been justice involved. The teams were created to further implement New York State’s strategic plan for juvenile justice, as outlined in Safe Communities, Successful Youth: A Shared Vision for the New York State Juvenile Justice System. Each team meets on a quarterly basis to share best practices, identify areas for practice improvement and provide input to state policymakers. Upcoming meetings for each region and a map of the regions’ counties are provided below.
|Region||Date, time and location|
September 15, 2015
September 23, 2015
September 9, 2015
September 14, 2015
If you are interested in becoming part of a regional team, click on the links above to identify which region your county is a part of, and who your team liaison is. Please contact the appropriate liaison for detailed meeting information.